Driving ban for fatal crash OAP

Go down

Driving ban for fatal crash OAP

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:49 pm

An 83-year-old man has been banned from driving for 10 years after a court heard he reversed over and killed a pedestrian aged 76.

Glanville Davies knocked over Mansel Floyd as he was reversing into a junction near a shop in Ynysawdre, near Bridgend, south Wales.

Thinking he had hit a kerb, Davies then tried to drive, causing more injuries.

Bridgend magistrates court fined him 3,500 after he admitted driving without due care and attention.

District Judge Richard Williams said if the incident, on 11 August 2008, had happened just a week later when a change in the law would have come into force, Davies could have been charged with causing death by careless driving.

But as Davies, from Brynmenyn, pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity, Mr Williams imposed a driving ban and fine.

A witness described the car moving forward and backward with what looked like a bag of rubbish underneath the car

Prosecutor Nicola Powell

The court heard Mr Floyd, a former community councillor suffered broken ribs, a fractured pelvis and leg and serious internal injuries.

Four days later his family decided to turn off his life support machine following medical advice.

Nicola Powell, prosecuting, told the court that on the morning of the accident Davies was following his daily routine of driving to the local newsagent.

The court heard that because the lay-by outside the shop was full, he drove past, stopping before reversing into another road to turn around.

At the same time, Mr Floyd was coming down the street and, having seen a friend across the street, waved to him and walked towards him when he was struck.

"The car reversed up the street, hitting Mr Floyd, knocking him over and reversing over him with the wheels going over him," said Ms Powell.

'Felt a bump'

"A witness described the car moving forward and backward with what looked like a bag of rubbish underneath the car," she added.

Questioned by police, Davies said he thought a man had been beckoning him forward after he had "felt a bump".

Defending, Mel Butler said Davies has been driving since 1947 and had a completely unblemished record.

"He felt a bump and thought he had struck a kerb. He thought he saw somebody beckoning him forward. He later gets out and sees Mr Floyd under the vehicle."

Mr Butler said Davies wished to extend his apologies and sympathies to Mr Floyd's family.

Mr Williams told Davies: "It is not appropriate that you should be behind the wheel of a car in the near future."

Davies must take an extended test if he wants to drive again once his ban is over.

He was also order to pay a 15 victim surcharge and prosecution costs.

Outside court, Mr Floyd's family declined to comment.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 247
Join date : 2008-07-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum